Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Reading Response 6

mmm, i'd probably never work at alessi. I dont understand how a company can possibly do as well as alessi has by only concentrating on looks. this, can't be true, some of the products they have produced are very functional and rational, but the aesthetics must outshine the simplicity and functionality.


I consider myself to be a very grounded, pragmatic person. I go about solving problems very rationally, or what I think is rational, thats just my personality, aesthetics have always been back seat to function, because if a product doesn't function they way consumers expect it to then its just a paperweight. I hate to bring it up but Im just going to say it because it's impossible to read this article without thinking of it... "form follows function" It's an overchimed saying. when I hear it i cringe a little bit, but I also agree. I have a hard time thinking about aesthetics. Personally, I think it's almost a defense mechanism. I prefer to keep aesthetics at arms length because I'm afraid i'll get too caught up in what the product looks like, and thus overdesign. while I subscribe to form follows function, I'm also and advocate of, "keep it simple, stupid" and i think that simple aesthetics aren't nearly as simple as consumers perceive them.


Take the iPod for example. My iPod Nano looks like its a simple form, but I know that mindboggling amounts of time were spent shaping, forming, designing, and redesigning this mp3 player into what it now is. the complexity of simple, restrained aesthetics is hard to accept sometimes. although the iPod is also very well design at performing its function.


good for alessi though.

No comments:

Post a Comment