Wednesday, December 16, 2009

pd486

Thursday. I began brainstorming for studio today. I am looking at ways of producing food in small spaces without soil. Because the soil is just a medium and structure for the roots, i would like to look into a way of removing the soil from the equation, most likely hydroponics or aeroponics. I'm also curious as to how I can utilize collected rain water for the water system as well.



For my small grow space I would like to maximize the use of natural light and perhaps incorporating as little much artificial light as possible. Also, using materials such a mylar will help increase the reflectivity so that light can bounce off surfaces. The location of the lights will need to cover as many plants as possible.


I am just going to dive head first into this thing. I don't have much farming experience but I need to wrap my head around this subject. I have decided that I am going to try and build a small green closet in the studio space at school or in my apartment. I figure I will be able to use recycled water bottles, jars, and other recycled materials to cut down on material costs for prototyping.


I am also going to continue working on my bottle opener. I would prefer to use metal for my design rather than plastic so I will need to look into ways of bending and forming the metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment